Team Model Inc 2
Please login or register to view the full TM forum
Team Model Inc 2
Please login or register to view the full TM forum
Team Model Inc 2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hardcore RC

HomeFacebookLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kieranbolton

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard Empty
PostSubject: Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard   Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 6:15 am

Hello guys, well as for now ive packed away my baja untill next year, ive found a new job, and this is my first project after finishing the TMAXX one, although i didnt write up about the tmaxx one, ill try my best at this one...

So, a little history about the truck..

The truck was Nicks, who, Nick being Nick, put brushless into it, and i quote "it used to twang its tracks off like elastic bands" so already its had a rough life, but everything still looks asif it was built yesterday..
The truck was then passed onto Ian, (yanto) who then also brushless'd it and i first set my eye's on the thing at TM York last year, where i watched it shoot off at a milion miles a hour, which was fun...

Then im not sure after this, Hoss or someone will probley clear this up, but anyway, it ended up in Hoss's hands and then mine :)

So this was how i bought it from TM last year

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0102

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0103

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0104

Not in a bad state at all... got it home to find some clicking noises, and it would occasionally steer left, now this is a whole new ball game for me, never really used skid steering before so a quick look over i worked out how it worked and it seems one of the brake disks was binding slightley dragging it to the left.

And in the cupboard it went untill last friday night, when i completed my Tmaxx project i was putting it away and decided the best thing for this truck, with it comming upto winter was a Snow plow... Now ive been advised by a couple of people that the newer models seems to come with a snow plow attached already? anyway.. by the by

So i got cracking, nipped the shell off and looked at the gubbins, started stripping it down, and for somereason some of the screws were WAYYY tight, so those were drilled out and will be replaced, anyway, the blizzard had a odd looking hook attached to the back off it, which was offset, so the first job was to center that so i could attach a trailer (comming later pics)

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0366

So with the hook relocated to the center, i put it back on the truck and give it a quick tug and the plastic bent slightley i wasnt having this so i decided the best thing to do was to re-enforce it...

So about a year ago i was in B&Q late when they were putting discount stock up forsale the next day, so i picked up 2 of these sheets of metal, which set me back a grand total of £1

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0367

So i cut out a quick template and fixed it in... so now it was alittle re-inforced and didnt bend as much

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0368

So my trailer hook was in place, ready for my trailer, now all i needed was a trailer, this will come later...

Now onto the front...

The front was abit bare, so carrying the snow plow idea over i took a quick look at some fixing points and worked out how it would work... and a short time later i had a mock up of paper on how it would work, and a template for my "scoop"

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0369

That was pretty much it... for sunday night

Monday morning came, and after a session in the gym i went to the local hardware store, where i picked some M6 washers and nuts aswell as some threaded bar and wet and dry in various grades, total £11.02

So After i took my Baja apart i relised the turnbuckles would be fine to use as mounting points, i was going to wait and go for MCD ones, but i was wayyy to eager, pluss it means i can now buy the metal ones for the baja...

So stripped the baja of its goodies and threaded them through the bar

then i threaded the threaded bar into the sockets which was perfect, and got a breif size up..

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0374

All was too long, so after another size up i managed this :

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0376

So my Scoop was ready to be fitted, however, on paper i had designed the scooop with plastic running over the top middle and bottom for support however screwing it up now, i doubt it will need it as it was flipping the car before the metal would bend, however, ive ordered the plastic for the trailer now, so its comming anyway....

next i offered the scooop up and it sits perfect

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0377

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0378

The Threaded bar will be covered with plastic rod once it arrives, to prevent rust and salt corrosion...

Thats all for now, ill update it as and when i can... here is a current price list :

2 2000Mah batterys - £23
Plastic for 2 trailers and scoop -£31.50
Wheels and tyres (25 wheels and tyres, long story) - £16.20
Threaded bar, Nuts bolts and screws and wet and dry £11.02
sheets of metal £1
m3 rods - £3

Current costs stand me at £75.02

however, 1 battery is for my Tmaxx and i really didnt need all the plastic, i overordered because i wanted to make a few trailers.

Thats all now folks :)

Kieran

Last edited by kieranbolton on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.kbleds.co.uk
HOSS
Admin
Admin
HOSS

PostSubject: Re: Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard   Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 6:52 am

That is absolutely FANTASTIC work bud

good on ya

looking forward to watching this progress
Back to top Go down
https://teammodellinc.forumotion.com/forum.htm
kieranbolton

PostSubject: Re: Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard   Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 7:50 am

Just ordered some m3 bar to keep the snow scoop stable... :)

Kieran
Back to top Go down
WOL

WOL

PostSubject: Re: Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard   Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 6:42 pm

Hahaha looking great fella

when you say to keep it stable, do you mean to stop it lifting?
Back to top Go down
YANTO
Uber Mod
Uber Mod
YANTO

PostSubject: Re: Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard   Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 4:15 am

Looks awesome fella GOOD

Glad to see an old model of mine still alive, lol. british flag

It always was a problem reversing, as if we need reminding wink hahaha!!

Keep up the progress Kieran, and keep us posted rolleyes

Back to top Go down
kieranbolton

PostSubject: Re: Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard   Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 10:28 am

Well guys, its been an interesting one, alot has happend since the last update! its almost complete, i feel like i havnt took too long on this ? Anyway, all my stuff that i needed came today, apart from the wheels and tyres and the M3 rod for the support bar....

Anyway, just now ive decided that this project simply isnt enough, Yes i have a snow scoop, but after christmas, im going to make it servo operated, ive finished this project way too quick for my liking...

Right so lets see the pics?

First off last night i decided to give the scoop a generic snow scoop yellow feel which seems to work well and make it stand out, 2 coats of primer, and 2 coats of yellow later :)

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0381

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0382

Then i woke up this morning too all of my plastic comming and my batteries (ordered on sunday both of them, which was excellent service i think :) )

also the company i bought it off in leicester hand delivered it for me, which was great, as he was interested why i wanted it, usually they supply to companys, he was impressed by the whole plans and project which was great, personal service, i would use them 1000 times over now....

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0383

So i got cracking with the long clear plastic rod, In hindsight i should have covered the nuts too however, i have Vaselined the threads inside, so hopefully that should keep some water out :)

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0384

I then got cracking with the trailer, which wasnt as big as success as id hope'd or planned, really i should have bought a solid color of plastic instead of clear, because the screws look bent dont get me wrong, however i plan on covering these... but anything external looks terrable, unless you have a pillar drill i think anyone would find it hard :(

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0385
Plastic frame drying.
Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0387

I then nocked two nails into the bench and worked on getting the towing hitch through

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0386

Tow hitch through second time around, theres a saying "perfect planning prevents a p*** proformance, which is demo'd here, becuase if i had planned it then i could have done this off the truck, but now its all glued i could'nt so i ended up splitting the plastic :(
Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0391

(Massive bit missing here, basically, nothing interesting, but i put an axle through the truck, had a friend come in, who thought he was tommy walsh and took over some DIY while i had a beer)

But anyway, had him put the axle through, and i sat and waited.. anyway, picked it up from where he left it, and now the uprights are glued into place, they will be drilled tomorrow and screwed

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0392

Tow hich and wheels put there for show
Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0394

Side on
Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0395

Thats as far as ive got tonight, dads getting me some offcut of roofing that 8mm thick, honey combed inside, this will make the sides and bed no doubt, then it will be almost done :)

Cheers for looking and ill pick it back up probley tomorrow

Kieran
Back to top Go down
HOSS
Admin
Admin
HOSS

PostSubject: Re: Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard   Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 5:56 pm

WOW
That's coming along brilliant
Planning is everything bud, but you very often you can plan all you like, start doing it, an things change, or don't work out
You will sort it matey, an things are really coming together, lots of times once you start an make something, you end up making more, so the next will be really easy, plus you may use different stuff, or do it slightly differently

I love the idea of making it servo assist
will that be to raise an lower, or side to side movement?

Keep up the Great work
Can't wait to see it, bet you praying for snow Hahahaha
Back to top Go down
kieranbolton

PostSubject: Re: Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard   Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 7:20 pm

well mark with the servo assisted i hope to create both...

Since i want to do a camera build up front like Terrortrooper did then im going to need some sort of flight remote, so for the start of the year im guessing ill have a flight remote and that should have allot of channels on, so i could get that and control it :)

The builds comming on well i think, a couple of niggles here and there, but nothing that cannot be solved :)

Hopefully i should get my m3 bar today and get the top mount secured up, so we have a working snow plow :)

After a quick test last night, i decided it would be a good idea to make my own light bars, since the ones that come from the shops have one drawback being that you can see all the wiring, so i plan to drill the middle of the bar out 5mm then go 6mm through about 1/2 way to seat the LED's then encase the wires inside just leaving a small gap either end for wires :) That meaning that the wires will be encased just leaving two small wires comming from the end :)

Hope that made sense?

Kieran
Back to top Go down
anthonyj3d

PostSubject: Re: Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard   Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 10:54 am

good one would be a spektrum dx6i m8 6 channel but uses dsm2 dont know if it will bind to the car receivers but it has programmable mixing in it aswell think they go for about 80 quid for the tx and about 130ish for the tx rx combo thats just a rough estimate i used to have one before i bought my dx7

hobby king do cheap dsm2 receivers too about 15 quid for a 6 ch one
Back to top Go down
kieranbolton

PostSubject: Re: Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard   Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 2:36 am

Well guys, i think the project is almost to an end....

Just the trailer build left to do, and my dads getting some plastic from work (8mm Thick honeycomb) the lights were wired this morning, and the wiring Tidied... Now alls left is to fully set up the ESC (Setting Endpoints Etc, Then wait for the snow :)

I could'nt really tell wheather this works or not, as ive yet to have any snow, but ill update again once i have snow, weather its a pass or fail it brings a smile to my face when i look at it :)

Here's some pics of today

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0429

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0428

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0427

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0426

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0425

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0424

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0423

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0419

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard IMAG0419-1

Cheers for looking

Kieran
Back to top Go down
YANTO
Uber Mod
Uber Mod
YANTO

PostSubject: Re: Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard   Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 3:51 am

Looks good that fella, GOOD

cracking job. If you do happen to get some white stuff, get some vid of it in action

union jack
Back to top Go down
HOSS
Admin
Admin
HOSS

PostSubject: Re: Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard   Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 6:21 pm

Absolutely fantastic build an write up matey

Very impressed an it's also something it's previous owners would have loved to do
So it's great to now see it all fully done

As I type this it's currently Snowing here in Wigan
So fingers crossed you get some then we get to see the beast in action

Top Job Fella GOOD
Back to top Go down
kieranbolton

PostSubject: Re: Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard   Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 3:34 am

Thankyou too all :D

I think it could be a wet christmas instead of a snow christmas :(

Kieran
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard   Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard Empty

Back to top Go down

Kierans Project Kyosho Blizzard
Page 1 of 1